Updates sporadically.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Share Your Work: Inspiration, Dedication and In Memoriam

Blog Lady Note: 
I've just noticed that the post that was supposed to go up on 5/23 never made it. Most likely due to some technological issue (definitely not user error) it did not publish as scheduled. I apologize for the oversight, and will be running it tomorrow. However, in the meantime I've decided to make it up to you with a bonus Thursday update!


This post isn't about writing -- that is to say, it is not instructional about writing. It is, perhaps, more about writing than any of my other posts.

As some of my readers my know, I was a poet before I turned my attention to fiction. I got my BA in English with a focus on poetry, took as many creative writing poetry courses as I could (even auditing some), I have journals dating back to middle school filled with some of the worst poems you could imagine, I wrote a play in verse as my senior comps project ... you get the gist. I love poetry, and have been touched by the work of many fantastic poets, including Dr. Maya Angelou. When I write poetry, it is often because I have been inspired by a poet, or a person, or a loss. For Dr. Angelou, it is all three.


With that in mind, I would like to deviate a little from the purpose of this blog and invite you to share something that you have written that was inspired by, dedicated to, or in memoriam of a person. It can be poetry, fiction, nonfiction, fantasy, sci-fi ... anything.

In the comments, share your work in its entirety or share a link. Tell us the story behind your piece, if you want. If enough people share and are interested, I will do a round-up of the shares for a later blog post. It may even be a recurring segment (I would very much like for it to be).

To kick us off, here is my share.

Remembrance

I look for the
black
edges
of the words
the spines
dark, fraying
bearing glossy gold

inky letters twist into
kinky knots
people born
places
things
ideas
from the shining black
curl
of an s
or the arch of
an n, an eyebrow

on a face
made
not born, no
but made
by letters
         (the mouth is H-O-P-E
         spelled with lips;
         the eyes are us)
and struggle
and warmth

words hold warmth
that thought forgets

i forget my i

i relearn the words of
language

i face myself
a stranger

and ask

what will become of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment